Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Search Ranking Conspiracy?

I have been reading a lot about eBay and it's search engine, Cassini.  I will summarize what I've read someday after it all digests.  This may be the quickest way to insanity!  But, of course, like fools we read all we can anyway....knowing it will only serve to raise our anxiety levels.

Well, lately that has been happening to me.  I have been reading about search rankings, and found a theory called Rolling Blackouts.  This theory explains, however unproven, that eBay could possibly be rotating who is visible in their search engine.  This also can feel like it explains why our sales suddenly shut down for a few days and then come back.  None of this is proven, of course, and eBay would NEVER admit to any of this. But, one can't help but wonder.

Last weekend, for the first time since I've been reselling on eBay (I started in November 2012) I didn't make one single sale.  Neither Saturday nor Sunday!  It had to rolling blackouts, right?  Well, that or August's doldrums.  So, I decided to check it the only way I know how.....by looking up my items myself.  Yep, all there.  And, then I thought that if eBay put me on some rolling blackout there's no way they'd show it to me. Of course all my listings would show up to me.  And, of course, they'd appear high in the rankings, right?

How do you get around this?  Call a friend.  Someone that doesn't live close to you.  I have a friend in eastern Florida and another in northern Idaho.  I called them both.  I live in St. Louis, MO.  Can't get a lot farther away that those two spots.  I had them look up the same items I was looking up to see if we both got the same results in search rankings.  (This was actually really fun!)

I figured I would find my item ranked #6 out of 140 or something, and my friend would find it ranked #130 out of the same 140.  Nope.  She found it exactly where I did..........and ranked high.   Hmmmmm.  Now what?

I suppose it can't be a rolling blackout killing my sales, can it?  The point of all this is to tell you that I don't know how much there is to any of this conspiracy theory.  I'd really like to believe it because I'd like to have something to blame for poor sales.  But, the fact is, it's all likely a coincidence timed with a slow sales period.....summer.

But, rest assured, I'm going to overthink this stuff now that I'm back in the saddle and pushing again.  However, I can't get past the feeling that I'm trying to sell sand in the Sahara right now.  Lol.  Either way.........

Make today count!
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment