Friday, August 16, 2013

Activity Update..

As of now, we've sold 27 things this month for a gross total of $475.  I am listing an average of 3-5 things a day.  I haven't really cracked down on a goal yet, as I'm just coming off summer with family and kids and going out of town to see more family.....and kids.  I'm cranking back up slowly.  I suppose I'm like that huge boulder sitting on top of the mountain.  If you can just get me rolling, I slowly and steadily pick up speed as I methodically roll along.  And, once I stop rolling, it's a real bugger to get me moving again.

That said, I ran through Marshalls for the first time today.  I've heard people talk about buying NWT (new with tags) items off their clearance racks.  I found a few things that I researched on the phone.  I didn't get what I felt were conclusive results from my phone app, so I decided to sit on the purchase until I could get home and check a little more thoroughly.  

I don't know about you, but my phone often reveals partial results compared to my laptop at home.  So, when I'm staring at something outside my comfort zone, I don't jump.  I do my research and go back if I still feel the gamble will pay off.  The reason this technique is outside my comfort zone is because 1- I've never done things this way.  I'm a thrift store guy where if I get burned, I'm out $3.  2- Looking at what interested me, I was going to have to shell out $34 on 3 shirts.  I can get 11 shirts at my local Goodwill for that price.

But, here is what was also weighing on my mind.  1- These were no-brainers even for the price.  (I'll go into detail in a minute)  2- If you don't leave your comfort zone, you never grow.  3- Bringing more NWT items into my store may reach a different audience I can get to come into my store and potentially find other appealing things.

No-brainers?  Here is what I was looking at.  A Tommy Bahama silk camp shirt for $20 that retails for $110 in store.  Problem is it's a small.  I also saw two Perry Ellis polo shirts for $7 each that were 4XL shirts.  Problem is Perry Ellis is an "ok" brand, not a great one.  But, 4XL speaks for itself.  I also saw a Sean John shirt that looked cool and it was an XL or 2XL, I can't remember.  I think it was $10.

I looked all these up and it appears I can sell the 3 shirts I mentioned (the SJ would be the shirt I'm not including) for $56 in profit.  Not bad for 3 shirts.  So, after consideration, I think I'll go back and grab them when I take the kiddos for Friday Pizza.

Let's do something fun, ok?  The Tommy Bahama is a red, solid, silk camp shirt....size small for $20.  The Perry Ellis polos are 4XLs for $7 each.  All are new with tags.  Post a comment and tell me what you would list them for AFTER doing the best research you can do.  Let's learn together!  I already know what my price points will be, as I've done enough research to see what they will sell for and this is why I'm going back to buy them.

I'll post the listings soon.  Gawd, this reselling is fun!  You walk into a store and just never know what you are going to find and/or learn.  Am I right?

Make today count!
Chip

No comments:

Post a Comment