Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Flip vs Buy and Hold.....some math

This is the constant question poking in my brain.  I don't think anyone short of Alan Greenspan could get the answer correct.....and he likely can't.  

It's the question that forms the very bedrock of your business model.  Do I charge less and burn that inventory out (aka WalMart), or do I charge more and make more profit for less work while risking holding onto an item for awhile and having to store it (aka Tiffany's jewelry)?  Which one makes more sense for me?




I'm a geek when it comes to breaking down things to their simplest form.  It helps me understand things.  Granted, nothing is black and white.  There are always shades of gray.........about 50 to be exact, right?

Well, I've finally put some rough work into the details.  Let's assume (yes, I'm about to make an ass out of you and me) that we have an average profit of $10 if we can unload an item in a month.  And, let's assume we will make $25 in profit if that same item is priced higher and doesn't sell for an average of 4 months.  Which is better?

I buy my shirts for $3, but let's use $5 for ease.  If I sell that first shirt for a $10 profit, I can now buy 2 shirts.  Provided I get them listed quickly, that next month I should make $10 on 2 shirts, or $20.  Now, flip it again and it's $40.  Again, and it's $80.  So, 4 months later, I have netted $150 in profit, right?  Seems like a no-brainer vs letting the item sit for $25.  After all, $150 beats $25 hands down.




Oops.  Look a little deeper.  What is your time worth to you?  It will take significantly longer to pack and ship 1+2+4+8 items (15 items total).  To make the same $150 the 15 shirts made me, I only need to sell 6 shirts at $25.  All I need to do is build my inventory up while I sit around waiting.  If it takes me an average of a half hour to source, list, pack, and ship each item (random time here, but worth knowing about yourself someday), that's 7.5 hrs for the 15 items vs only 3 hrs for the 6 items.  Translate that to an hourly wage, and we have $20/hr for the $10 profit model vs $50/hr for the $25 model.  Assuming 40 hours/week is all you want/can work, we have an income of $800/wk vs $2000/wk.

Look, I'm being overly simplistic here, but one person can only work so much.  There's only so much time in a day.  The difference here is working hard vs working smart.  The only trick is:  Are you buying items that can net you both $10 or $25 depending on how long you choose to wait?

I guess that's a topic for another blog post.....

Make Today Count!
Chip

2 comments: